Thursday, February 18, 2010

Silhouettes




I've been noticing so many beautiful silhouettes showing up in decorating lately. They were all the rage over 100 years ago and again when i was growing up in the 60's. I love that this delicate art form is being recognized again and in so many creative ways.

I picked these little silhouettes up at Salvation Army this morning. Aren't they dear?

I'm afraid i let out an audible *gasp* when i spotted them. (yep, got some strange looks!)


Such sweet little scenes!

These silhouettes are of my parents in the early 60's...(love the pearl earring detail!)

This little chubbin was me at 1 yr...

and then again at 3.

I love the look of the white on black too.

This is a stamp by "Studio Calico". The picture is from the February issue of Creating Keepsakes.
Ummm, i had two more images but i think blogger ate them! Ballards has some cute boxes with silhouettes on the tops (they look really easy to make) and 'Victoria's' Jan/Feb issue had an article on making your own silhouettes. They include a template on their web site, victoriamag.com. I think i'll get out my tiny scissors and glasses (ugh) and give it a try! I'll let you know how i did. How was your day?

2 comments:

  1. I have 3 silhouettes that I gave to my daughter for her first apartment. They are of women in powder puff slippers and skimpy nighties...too cute! I remember in school ~years ago~ getting silhouettes done....I wonder where mine are? Hmmm....mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are so sweet! i love the ones of your family! have a great weekend, susan

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?